Saturday, October 29, 2011

Passing the Torch. A Momentous Occasion. A Legacy Lives On.

When I was a kid I loved, loved, loved the movie Flashdance. Don't judge. I didn't really know what it was about. I only knew there was some dancing and ice skating and amazing music. It wasn't until my late teens that I really discovered what that movie was about. It was a big "oooohhhh" moment. Ignorance was bliss. My parents never told me anything was wrong with watching it and therefore, I never believed anything was wrong with it. Bless my parents for that freedom.
As the years progressed and my love of movies grew, Flashdance has always stayed dear to me, especially the opening. Wow. What a beautifully shot opening number. Sometimes, when I'm down, or need a jolt of inspiration, I watch that opening scene. 
As I have stated, I'm currently in California visiting my sister, her hubby, and my niece, Kaylen. Well, Kaylen and I were alone one glorious afternoon when Flashdance came on TV. 
I thought to myself, "I know Kaylen is only 8 months old, but I'm all alone and I love this opening and how awesome would it be to tell Kaylen years and years later that I showed her one of my favorite cinematic openings? I've got to pass the torch of Flashdance love!"
So, with Kaylen on my lap, we watched the first 5 minutes together, mouths agape. 
After that I decided that I needed to have a photo shoot with Kaylen. Kind of an ode to Flashdance
One day, she'll laugh and love me for this. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...