Thursday, January 10, 2013

My face swells up (literally) and I forget Oscar nominations came out!

Yesterday I awoke looking like a bad version of Lindsay Lohan. Yes, I just said 'a bad version.' My face was swollen and lips looked like a bad case of injections. Just look at me! I look like 
I just stepped out of a plastic surgery. Awful.
I went to the doctor, got a shot for having an allergic reaction to something and then spent the rest of the day with my head in a hole and then just went to bed. I woke this morning, still a bad version of Lindsayshowered, stared at my Beverly Hills Housewives lips and then received at text from my friend Chris Lyon  asking my thoughts on the nominations. My faux lips fell open: How the Hell did I forget that nominations were happening? It's a first for me in over a decade. Shame. I feel a tiny twinge of shame, but I'll blame it on my Lindsay Lohan look alike phase.  
Moving on to the good stuff: Oscar Nominations!
The nominations were mostly what I expected. With a few exceptions! 
To start: 

 
Best Picture     

Amour                            
Argo
Life of Pi
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
Les Misérables

 That is what it is.  I expected these. (Note: I cannot stop typing in Italics. Don't know why. Blogger can be annoying sometimes)


Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
Hugh Jackman - Les Misérables
Joaquin Phoenix - The Master
Denzel Washington - Flight




The surprise is Joaquin Phoenix because Joaquin doesn't play the campaign game. In fact, he openly said, just a mere 2 months ago, that he didn't care about the Oscars or competing against other actors. Ha! Love it. I will say the Academy did do something right though by nominating him. His performance was outstanding. I'd love to see him win. 


Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Jessica Chastainin - Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence - Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Rivain - Amour
Quvenzhané Wallisin - Beasts of the Southern Wild (Youngest nominee EVER at the age of 9!)
Naomi Wattsin - The Impossible

I'm excited about this category this year. It's anyone's game especially with a 9 year old in the mix. 




Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Alan Arkin - Argo
Robert De Niro - Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln
Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained
 This is the toughest category this year (my opinion). All exceptional actors. Christoph Waltz made Django Unchained, but I have a sweet spot for Philip Seymour Hoffman. 


Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Amy Adams - The Master
Sally Field - Lincoln
Anne Hathaway - Les Misérables
Helen Huntin - The Sessions
Jacki Weaver - Silver Linings Playbook
 Another great category, but I feel they will give it to Anne for her turn as Fantine. It's all anyone can talk about. Hell, it's what I remember most from the movie. Oh, but Amy Adams held her own and managed to shine against the likes of Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix. Not many actresses could do that as well as she did. 


Best Animated Feature Film
Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wreck-It Ralph

 What happened to Rise of the Guardians!!! But, I love Wreck-It-Ralph.

Achievement in Directing
Amour - Michael Haneke
Beasts of the Southern Wild - Benh Zeitlin
Life of Pi - Ang Lee
Lincoln - Steven Spielberg
Silver Linings Playbook - David O. Russell
  




My biggest disappointment lies here; No Paul Thomas Anderson nod for The Master. Yes, The Master wasn't nominated for Best Picture, but the three main actors were. 

Achievement in Cinematography
Anna Karenina - Seamus McGarvey
Django Unchained - Robert Richardson
Life of Pi - Claudio Miranda 
Lincoln - Janusz Kaminski 
Skyfall - Roger Deakins 


 Roger Deakins has been nominated 9 times and has never won. He is one of this generations greats. Skyfall was beautiful. I wish for him to win. Click Here to see all the movies he has been nominated for.

That's just the beginning of all the nominations. 
Click Here For the Full Nomation List

I am making it a mission to see as many nominated films as possible so you guys can read me ranting and raving about who should win and who inevitably lost.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...