Monday, December 31, 2012

Why Not Mindy's top 10 movies that not enough people saw: 2012 edition

It's the end of the year and every publication from Entertainment Weekly to Hollywood Reporter are rehashing the best movies of 2012. We get it. Lincoln is good, Oscar worthy. Blah blah blah. The "great" movies of 2012 have huge amounts of promotional money which helps the general public become aware of what they are suppose to see. As a struggling artist/filmmaker, I feel for the little guy. The small budget movies or incorrectly marketed movies or 'sat on a studio shelf too long and so not enough people saw' movies all deserve to be seen. I set out to try and watch as many movies in the last two weeks. Yes, I got help from Independent publications that mentioned movies I'd never heard of, and I also spent a stupid amount of time watching trailers. My research was as thorough as I know it can be. There will not be long synopsis' about the movies, or a tedious breakdowns of why they are so good. This my opinion. I want you guys to have your own. Each movie has a link to IMDB. You can find details there or even watch the trailer. That is that.
So...
Here it is:
The Top 10 Movies That Not Enough People Saw: the 2012 Edition!



10. Cabin in the Woods - yes, it made a dent in the box office, yes it's a Joss Wheadon & Drew Goddard masterpiece, but I have to add this movie because it is hands down the smartest horror movie ever written and produced. I don't think it got enough kudos.

9. Perks of Being a Wallflower - Again, this movie was marketed pretty well. Most people will say they heard of it, but did anyone actually make it to the theater to see it? It is debatable. The movie did makes it's money back, so by those standards, it was a success. But, I bet most of my readers didn't see it. Well it should be on DVD soon. *Side note, this movie also stars my 2012 Breakout Actor Ezra Miller. * Watch him in another widely unseen movie, We Need to Talk About Kevin

8. Bernie - Based on a true story, Jack Black portrays the title character in his best acting to date. A quirky, fun movie that was mostly ignored. Lucky you, it is available on Netflix Instant View :)

7. Liberal Arts - Written and directed by Josh Radnor (Ted Mosby from How I Met Your Mother). I may love this movie too much, but it just got to me. Wrought with literary references and poetic prose makes me a sucker for this off kilter romantic coming of age, no matter what the age may be, movie. Allison Janney shines yet again in her supporting role as a professor. And Zach Efron surprised the hell out of me in his bit role. I had to actually look up his character to discover it was him. Available on DVD.

6. Your Sister's Sister - From writer/director Lynn Shelton and starring Emily Blunt and Mark Duplass (The League). This movie exemplifies what Lynn Shelton does best; delivering a feeling of natural conversation and believable characters. It's almost voyeuristic in nature because the dialogue is delivered as though real life was happening, not a movie. Nothing feels forced. Available on DVD.

5. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - Starring Steve Carell and Keira Knightley. This movie flopped at the box office. Two bankable stars deliver in this flick I'd like to call a "Romantic Dramedy." Perhaps this new kind of genre (Romantic Dramedy) is hard to market. But, I believe it to be the new evolved era of Romantic Comedies. Available on DVD.

4. Safety Not Guaranteed - This movie was made for next to nothing, so it did superbly well at the box office, but that still doesn't mean most people saw it. Again, a Romantic Dramedy, that makes you smile and makes you want to believe. Aubrey Plaza's break out role. She shines and sparkles in her role.  Available on DVD.

3. Sleepwalk with Me - This movie breaks the barriers of genre. Half documentary, half comedy, with spurts of drama. If I were to pick a genre, again I would choose Romantic Dramedy. This is number 3 on my list, so please understand the weight that carries. I loved this movie and I believe anyone who watches it will also enjoy. Available on Netflix Instant View and on DVD. 

2. Sound of my Voice - This movie almost made the number one spot. And maybe on another day it would. Basic synopsis: A couple infiltrates a cult in hopes of making a documentary. I'm just down right sad that this movie didn't get the high volume marketing it deserved. Available on Netflix Instant View and on DVD.

1. Take This Waltz - In her third feature film, Writer/Director Sarah Polley captures subtleties and nuances that are generally pulled out by more seasoned writers and directors. This Romantic Dramedy is beautiful and gut wrenching and on point. Starring the always brilliant Michelle Williams and Seth Rogen in his best role (mostly because he's not over the top, he plays a man, a husband, a normal; and he does it pretty well). Available on Netflix Instant View and DVD. 

That wraps up my movies you should have seen in 2012. I hope you all get the chance to watch them in 2013. Till the new year.... 
- Why Not Mindy


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its not my first time to pay a visit this web page, i am browsing this web page dailly and get fastidious facts
from here every day.
Stop by my web page ; wholesale nfl jerseys

biz said...

OMG NFL Jerseys!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...