Thursday, December 13, 2012

Golden Globes Nominations are out: Jumbled mess or right on?

I want to start with what I think is the biggest snub: Lily Rabe who plays Sister Mary Eunice in American Horror Story Asylum
Hopefully when the Emmys roll around they will remember her chilling and transformational performance. She haunts me.
Other snub: Tom Hooper for Director of Les Miserables. Granted, I haven't seen the movie yet, but I sure was rooting for him. Oh well.
Otherwise, the nominations are pretty much as expected. No big thrills. I was sad to see Dexter completely locked out. It's been a great season. And poor Jennifer Carpenter who plays Dexter's sister Deb has never ever been nominated for her role. This should have been the year. Watching her teetering the edge this season has been addictive. And how Parks and Recreation DIDN'T get a nomination for best comedy is beyond my comprehension. And it is a pure travesty to mankind that the Globes AND the Emmys refuse to recognize the genius that is Nick Offerman (Ron Swanson on Parks & Rec.). 
I'm also very saddened by myself. Out of the movies nominated in Drama and Comedy, I've only seen 1. And I watch a lot of movies. Guess, I've been watching the wrong ones. And I guess I've got a lot of watching to do.

BEST MOTION PICTURE — DRAMA
Argo
Django Unchained

Life of PiLincoln
Zero Dark Thirty

Lincoln

BEST MOTION PICTURE — COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Miserables
Moonrise Kingdom
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Silver Linings Playbook


Can you guess the film I've seen? You'd be right if you guessed Moonrise Kingdom. I'll always be first in line for a Wes Anderson flick. Too bad he didn't get a director nomination, but hell, neither did Paul Thomas Anderson for his quiet beauty The Master.

BEST DIRECTOR
Ben Affleck (Argo)
Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty)
Ang Lee (Life of Pi)
Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)
Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained)


I think we all expected to see these names. They've all be nominated before. They make great movies, obviously, b/c it's their movies that are nominated for Best Picture. What can ya say, besides, "A surprise here and there would be nice."
Oh Wait! The best surprise and the real reason I'll be sitting in front of the TV on January 13, 2013 is because Amy Poehler and Tina Fey are hosting. I wouldn't miss that for anything.

CLICK HERE FOR A FULL LIST OF NOMINATIONS 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...