Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas comes and TV shows go

Christmas is approaching which means our beloved TV shows either end or take a hiatus. This makes my heart swell with a sadness that probably isn't rational, but I pay no mind to that cause I love my TV shows and my TV characters. I invite these characters into my heart and home and then poof, they are gone, sleeping in the TV box, waiting for the next season or awaiting their proper burial. Homeland and Dexter each have 1 episode left. Last nights episodes were EPIC to say the least. I can hardly contain my imagination as it wishes and hopes for the last episodes to satisfy my needs well enough to tide me over till next September. 

SPOILERS AHEAD FOR DEXTER AND HOMELAND. BEWARE. 



My heart breaks for Dexter and Hannah McKay. Isn't just like life to give you the "soul mate" and then keep them right out of reach? I've always imagined that Dexter would end with him being caught. But, this season has changed me. I want Dexter with that person who understands and supports him. On every level that's what we as humans want. It is so satisfying to see Dexter have that. I want him to get to keep it. It's TV land, so it's okay that two murderers live happily ever after, right? I have a thought, a hunch: What if Deb poisoned herself to force Dexter to turn in Hannah. We all knew that Deb would not be happy till Hannah was gone. Is it because she just HAS to have the murderers behind bars or is it more psychological? Like, Deb wants Dexter to herself. She admitted she was in love. Isn't just like a girl to go crazy and sabotage a relationship in order to have the man to themselves? Maybe I watch too much trashy TV, but maybe I'm right. Deb has become unhinged this season. I see no limit to what she might do.
And like the relationship between Dexter and Hannah, I feel the same way about Carrie and Brody (Homeland). I want them together. They get each other. Yes, Brody is a terrorist or more so was a terrorist. There is a lovely parallel between these two couples. That beautiful forbidden love is at the root of these two shows right now, and I am fan. If a show is about the CIA and terrorists or a vigilante murderer with the heart of an empty box, at the root is forbidden love. Not just with people, but with actions. Dexter fights his "dark passenger" aka his forbidden love. We should never mistake, Dexter loves what he does. And for Carrie, she loves being on the edge. That's where she thrives and does her best thinking and solving. Besides Brody, her forbidden love is her own crazy. 
1 more episode for each show. I anxiously wait. Please, dear shows, live up to the amazing season you have provided.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...