Monday, November 5, 2012

Weekend movie watching. Theme: Identity crisis.

I had a wonderful weekend filled with cheese balls (yes, round nuggets of cheese deep fried), Karaoke, laughter with friends, jogging (yes, I jogged, pick up your jaw) and two movies. I was living the life! Now, I'm paying for my abundance of fun with some sort of torture happening in my throat and general face area. Ahh, the price we pay, right?
Enough of that, let's talk movies. I try NEVER to give too much on the movies, cause I want you to see the movies, not get the cliff notes.
Perks of Being a Wallflower:
I was very excited to see this movie, mostly cause it was a coming-of-age tale set in the early 90s. Perks was that, but also very shiny with dark undertones. Which is exactly how one could describe the 90s. Emma Watson shines outside of the Harry Potter world and has a very good American accent. I was both pleased and annoyed by the movie and for the same reason. As a misfit in high school I yearned to have a group of misfit friends. That never happened. But in Perks, that's exactly what happens. The lead boy stumbles into high school and into the fun loving arms of a group of self proclaimed "island of misfit toys." Fun is had, hearts are broken, then healed, and our lead finally figures out who he is and why his brain can be so dark. Identity crisis: almost solved! Can't say completely cause he IS still in high school. I give the movie *** for some stand out performances and awesome soundtrack.

Wreck It Ralph: 
Two hours prior to seeing Ralph is when the throat torture started, but I wanted to see this movie so bad that I powered through. And Thank God that I did. Even through the uncomfortable head and inability to swallow, I loved this movie. Our title character has the worst of identity crisis, he wants to be the hero in the game world and not a bad guy. Can't blame the guy. And thus, the story follows Ralph as he jumps from arcade game to arcade game. Every gamer person that sees this movie will have moments of shrill happiness with all the refrencing to game characters. What's best overall about this movie is the story. The story is strong and doesn't waiver. As my husband put it, "it's the video game version of Toy Story." And he is totally right. Toy Story is strong on story and I believe that Wreck it Ralph sits on same shelf. I give the movie ****

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you're sick!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...