Tuesday, November 13, 2012

European MTV music awards: The ending is coming

I was once under the impression that everything European was more chic, less mainstream, and contained more talent per sq inch than America ever could. Of course, I'm directly referencing music here. But I was sorely disappointed with the European MTV Music Awards. Lose the accents and it may as well been American MTV.
Example:

Best Song Nominations:
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
Fun. - We are Young
Pitbull - International Love
Gotye - Somebody That I Used to Know
Rihanna - We Found Love
The Winner? Carly Rae Jepsen's most annoying Call Me Maybe.
I, personally, do not like this song nor that it caught fire with everyone and their "fun" lip synch videos. Carly Rae reminds me of an 80's Debbie Gibson. I'll admit, I did love me some Debbie. But, that's not relevant at all.
Let's go over other winners, shall we: And remember, this is what 2012 will be remembered for...*sigh*

Best Female: Taylor Swift
Best Male: Justin Bieber
Best New Act: One Direction
Best Song: “Call Me Maybe,” Carly Rae Jepsen
Best World Stage: Justin Bieber
Best Video: “Gangnam Style,” PSY
Best Rock: Linkin Park
Best Pop: Justin Bieber
Best Look: Taylor Swift
Best Alternative: Lana Del Rey
Best Hip Hop: Nicki Minaj
Best Live: Taylor Swift
Biggest Fans: One Direction
Best PUSH: Carly Rae Jepsen
Global Icon: Whitney Houston

We get it world: You LOVE Taylor Swift. 
Maybe my age is showing here. Perhaps I have to swallow my pride and say MTV, European or American, just isn't for me anymore. But that is hard. I remember the birth of MTV at my ripe at of 2. Luckily, I had an older sister who sat me in her lap and talked the love of music. And music played all day and all night. And I fell in love with Madonna, Michael Jackson, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Dire Straits, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, The Cars. I've mourned the loss of the original MTV for decades now.  But, I didn't ever think we, as the world people, would actually give Best Video to PSY's Gangman Style. Disappointment flows from my pores and I'm left utterly hopeless.
PSY's competition:  Lady Gaga - Marry the Night
                                 Katy Perry - Wide Awake
                                 M.I.A - Bad Girls
                                 Rihanna - We Found Love
Which video do think should have won?
Back to my original point: I really thought European listeners had a more sophisticated listening palette. But, then again, I guess teenagers are just sheep everywhere. Fall in line future leaders of the world and just vote Beiber/Swift. At the American MtV awards, there was some different outcomes. Maybe America does stand that fighting chance. Cause Taylor Swift wasn't even nominated and  Beiber didn't win anything. And the video that is to represent 2012 American style is a perfect choice and my choice. Like I said a few posts ago, I have an extreme love/hate relationship with this gal. And I believe we all have found love in a hopeless place throughout this year. 
CLICK HERE TO WATCH 2012'S VIDEO OF THE YEAR

2 comments:

Girl With One Eye said...

I'm pretty disappointed to hear this :( Side note: Please listen to Lana Del Rey's -Cola and tell me your thoughts?

Girl With One Eye said...

Oh and Body Electric, I finally downloaded all her new songs I'm in love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...