Monday, April 2, 2012

Plato's Closet can suck it (yes, my verbiage is as dumb as the teenagers working the store)

First, I've never taken to the page (blog, website, newspaper, yelp, etc.) to express my distaste or outrage with a business. I try to always give the benefit of the doubt. 
Today is my exception. 
I've been cleaning out my closet in preparation to move to a sleeker, cooler loft. Yeah, that's a brag.
I had noticed in my "Goodwill" pile that I had some pretty decent clothing I was giving away. 
"Why not try to sell them and make a little extra cash?" I ask myself. 
So I made a new pile called, "What would a 20-something wear." Cause that's Plato's plight. They cater to the teen and twenty something.

So I took in a heavy trash bag of stuff. I was excited, for all of 3 minutes. 

My first distaste came when two teenagers working threw a purse across the store cause there was mud on it. It wasn't that they threw a bag, it was the teenage shrieking. The only people who can stand that shrieking are teenage girls. 

My second distaste came when I realized the girl that was supposed to be going through my bag was standing with the shrieking girls, laughing. 

My frustration grew inside, but I begged myself to stay calm. No need to be angry at dumb Bossier City teenagers. They are teenagers. What do they really know? Besides, my anger never fixed anything.


Eventually, the girl got back to work and went through my whole bag, but she only pulled out 7 items, leaving about 34 other articles in my bag. I was puzzled. But, I stayed calm and continued to watch.
My 7 articles were passed to a new, snottier teenager who was to "process" the pieces and make me an offer. It took her 17 minutes to do so. Why? Because she got distracted by a broken Louis Vuitton wallet. So distracted that she called her boss to ask if she could buy it! Then called her dad to bring her money! All while NOT doing her job. My hands were sweating as I forced Hulk to stay inside.


After her 17 minute distraction (I literally watched my clock) she finally, slowly finished processing. 
"We can accept 7 items and offer you $28.75." She said. Never looking me in the eye.
"Okay." I reply.
She pulls money out of the register, counting like she might actually be dim and hands me the money. 
"Can I have a receipt for what you purchased from me."
She rips a receipt and hands it to me. 

Now, I get to see what they actually bought. Because they don't let you know. Nor, do they tell you why or why not on any piece.
Here's the list of what was bought: 2 pairs of shoes, a brown vest, a black sweater, a dress, a wallet (which is weird, cause I never brought in a wallet. But this "wallet" got me $10 toward my $28. I really believe it is the wallet the girl wanted to purchase. I told you she was dim) and lastly a pair of American Eagle blue jeans. 

Now here's the kicker of it all. Those American Eagle jeans are 8 years old and I wore them almost every day while waiting tables at Chili's while in college. I got rid of them because they still smelled liked Chili's. I never thought they would buy them!


Left in my trash bag were 2 other pair of American Eagle blue jeans, same size, same wearing and a brand NEW pair of blue jeans from Forever 21. The flippant girls, for some reason, were not interested in those. 
Also left in my bag, 2 plaid mini skirts from American Eagle. When did plaid mini skirts go out of style? I know every guy reading this will say "They didn't! We love them!"
And to much of my heart ache, a brand new pair of pink suede T-Strap shoes from a ASOS.com (European website. It rocks) 
The whole process took me 45 minutes and there was only 1 other customer in the store the entire time I was there. 
I will never know the reasons why the children pick what they pick, but I know I will never like it. Nor, will I ever be able to handle such gum-smacking sentences like "OMG. Louis Vuitton! I don't need a wallet, but I need Louis Vuitton." 
And NEVER in a million years will I understand why they buy 8 year old Chili's smelling jeans over NEW Forever 21 jeans. Or why Target brand T-strap shoes are more appealing than pink suede T-strap shoes.
My bottom line. Plato's closet is run by teenagers. I don't much care for rude, shrieking, hair flipping, gum smacking teenage girls. Which means, I will never visit another Plato's Closet again. 
Instead, I will take my clothes to Goodwill, which is where I should have taken them in the first place. Shame on me for trying to make extra money. There is a price for Capitalism.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy!!!! do you sound like a grown up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...