Friday, January 13, 2012

Are you there Vodka? Wednesday night TV review

Wednesday night TV is shaping up to be.....good TV, mostly.
We've got our staples, Modern Family, Revenge, Suburgatory. Adding to my Wednesday line up is One Tree Hill and Are you there, Chelsea
Of course, One Tree Hill was all I needed it to be and I'm very anxious for the last 12 episodes. Again, someone dies, and I don't know who!!?? 
Now, the brand new, Are you there, Chelsea? is a little more complex for me to simply review. Based on Chelsea Handler's memoir Are you there Vodka? It's me, Chelsea, with Laura Prepon (That 70's show) taking the lead. Laura Prepon has always been ALMOST funny to me. She's always on the brink, but just lacks that extra ineffable thing that makes me laugh aloud. She's totally capable of her job, but as a comedic force spewing lines from the unstoppable mouth of Chelsea Handler??? Eh. Chelsea Handler is brash, uncouth, whorish, and delightful in her acceptance of all these personality traits. But, Laura Prepon acting like Chelsea is like watching a pretty girl act like Chelsea Handler. Its odd. Its unsettling.  Especially with Chelsea Handler acting in the show as the uptight sister. Weird.
The show may be better if it didn't have a laugh track. 
I Love that there is a show with a strong female character that can "drink like two men" and enjoys sex freely. All good ingredients. But add that laugh track and suddenly I feel a forced lightness to every drink and sex joke. Are you there, Chelsea? is like staring at all the ingredients to cake, and as a viewer you just keep waiting for them to mix it and bake it. Cause till then, it's inedible.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...