Friday, September 23, 2011

Walking down a Memory Lane

I remember being in the 9th grade when Janet Jackson's song "If" came out. It is a lyrically fast song, hard to understand. This was also before lyric sites ran rampant on the internet. (Also, before I really used the internet! Gasp) 

So I remember laying on the carpeted floor of some classroom at Jr. High West with my Walkman and a notebook determined to figure out every single word. This memory will never fade for me because it was so bloody satisfying to even think I knew every word. (Years later I figured out I was wrong on some words, but whatever.) 

I did this routine with many of my favorite songs and albums. I'd listen so intently making sure I knew every word. Now, I just Google the song and find the lyrics in just 3 seconds. Not as satisfying, but damn convenient.

But, yesterday I was challenged. Rachael Yamagata put out another song called "Dealbreaker" from her upcoming album. I immediately Googled the lyrics, but they were no where to be found. *Gasp*
So I took a much needed walk and listened to the song over and over.
When I returned home, I knew it was time to go back to my 9th grade self and start transcribing every word she sang.


You can listen to the song here:
Dealbreaker

And here are my transcribed lyrics. I had just one problem, you'll see with all the questions marks. 
I'd love love love for someone to tell me what she's saying there....Test to all my 8 followers (bless you). 


Dealbreaker

I found that record you've been looking for yesterday
The one I've been searching for forever
I played that record all night, you were right
The last song said it all
Even though it skipped a bit, it sounded better
I never, I never, I never knew
The only way to listen to a record like that
is to play it through

But all of this means nothing
But all of this means nothing
But all of this means nothing without you

I packed up the car and started to drive
Without a plan, with no direction
You said it would be good for me to break out
of my daily routine
You were always trying to teach some lesson
you wanted, you wanted, you wanted me
to feel the open road with the wind on my face
well, I'm here and I'm finally free

But all of this means nothing
Yeah all of this means nothing
All of this means nothing, without you

You and I were partners in crime
Better days in the ????????????
Somehow we wound up here

I'm looking at a letter that I wrote you long ago
Wouldn't even know now where to send it
It's funny how it all poured out on paper
If only I had found a way to tell you
If only, If only, If only you
Had found a way to love me for who I am
the way that I loved you

But all of this means nothing
Yeah all of this means nothing
All of this means nothing without, without, without, without You.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...